Sunday 7th March 2021
Kia ora koutou Birdwood Whanau
Auckland is moving back to Alert Level 2 as from Saturday at 11.59 pm. We look forward to welcoming all our students and staff back onsite on Monday unless they show flu-like symptoms.
As advised by the Ministry of Health, schools are a safe environment for children and staff in Alert Level 2, and we will take extra health and safety measures to ensure school grounds are always kept as hygienic as possible.
The main principles for Alert Level 2 are:
• Only staff and students are allowed on school grounds. Children will need to be dropped-off and picked up at the gate or walk home if that’s what they normally do. Whanau can still come to the office, but not to the rest of the school.
• It is possible that the great majority of children will be returning to school and we are aware that social distancing will be challenging, so our priority will be good hygiene practices. This includes staff and students coughing into their elbows, handwashing and drying, and regular cleaning of commonly touched surfaces.
• To ensure we can identify and contact anyone who has been in close contact if someone in the school is infected
• Any student or staff who have the slightest hint of flu-like symptoms should stay home for as long as the symptoms persist and seek medical diagnosis. We will send anyone home immediately if they show any symptoms at school.
• All students are expected to attend school as from tomorrow. However, if parents decide not to send their children to school during alert level 2, teachers will not be providing home learning. The school website has links to different learning resources children can access from home. Any child who borrowed a computer from school please return them so our learners at school can use them.
These are the measures we will implement:
• Arriving at school as from Monday 8th March and until we move to level 1:
o Only staff and students are allowed on school grounds. The gate will be open by the hall where a staff member will greet you from 8.15am. All parents are to drop-off and wait for children on the roadside of the gates.
o Hand sanitiser will be available at the main gate and all students need to sanitise their hands as they arrive and before they leave school.
o All gates will be opened at 8.15 am to allow children in. Please make sure children don’t arrive to school before this time as they won’t be allowed in until 8.15 am. Gates will be closed at 9.00 am. The main gate will be open for any parents or visitors and are advised to go straight to the office to scan or sign-in on the register
o Please ensure all children bring a water bottle with them as water fountains will not be available
•While at school:
o Breakfast club will resume when we move to level 1.
o Children and staff will be required to sanitise their hands several times per day. Hand sanitiser will be available in all classrooms and shared spaces.
o All surfaces and door handles in classrooms and shared spaces will be sanitised during breaktimes by non-teaching staff.
•At the end of the day:
o Tamariki can be collected at the school gate from 3pm.
We will continue with our Learning Conversations on Wednesday 10th March ensuring health and safety procedures under level 2 are adhered to. School will finish at 12pm on this day to allow time for teachers to begin interviews at 12.30pm. If you have not booked your interview on the Skool Loop App your teacher will be in contact with you so this can be organised. It is important we see as many whanau as possible on this day – we are able to offer face to face or zoom meetings. Only parents who have booked an interview will be allowed on school grounds.
If you are unable to collect your children at 12pm please contact the school office or classroom teacher so we can provide cover.
The Home and School Partnership meeting which was scheduled for Thursday 11th March will be postponed till later in the term when we are in level 1.
The Teacher Only Day, Friday 12th March, will also be postponed to another day.
Thank you for your continued support and look forward to seeing all our tamariki again on Monday.
Ngā mihi nui