Kia ora koutou Birdwood whanau
I am sure you have followed with interest the announcements made by the Prime Minister this week advising that in Alert Level 2, schools are safe environments for children, young people and staff to return to. In addition, public health control measures are in place to prevent the spread of disease and to support contact tracing.
The key Public Health approach is to minimise the risk that someone gets infected in the first place, and second to ensure we can identify and contact anyone who has been in close contact with a person, if someone in a school is infected.
Information received from the Ministry of Education has advised that Schools, like workplaces, are not considered to be gatherings under alert level 2. Therefore there are no bubbles and no changes are needed to breaks, start and finish times.
Children, young people and staff should be far enough away from each other so that they are not breathing on or touching each other, coupled with good hygiene practices and regular cleaning of commonly touched surfaces. There does not need to be a specific measurement but where practicable 1 metre can be used as a guide, particularly between adults. Practice should be sensible.
It’s important however that not just at school but at home, safe hygiene habits are practised by everyone, as this is essential to minimise the risk that someone gets infected with Covid-19.
Under Alert Level 2, we advise any students and staff to stay at home if they are sick, and we will send anyone home immediately if they show any symptoms.
As we prepare for your child to return to school, I want to fully inform you about what we will do to make sure we keep your child safe. WE CARE ABOUT OUR STUDENTS – WHO ARE YOUR CHILDREN!
If your child has health issues and you feel it is too risky for them to return to School, please let us know.
Here are the key points for you to be aware of, when your child returns to school:
- Children need to bring their own water bottle. Water fountains will be closed.
- The only entry to the school will be via the hall entrance and this will be unlocked at 8.15am daily. Whaea Meli and another staff member will be there to greet your children and ensure hands are sanitised before they enter the school grounds. The gate will be locked at 9.30am daily, any latecomers will need to contact the office 09 8469943 or 027 5694305 and a staff member will greet you and open the gates. Gates will reopen at 2.50pm to allow students to exit school at the end of the day.
- Children can play outside in the morning until the bell rings.
- Teachers will put hand sanitiser on the hands of every student, every day at the start of day, start of morning tea, end of morning tea, start of lunch and end of lunch.
- Teachers will, before and after school, clean all hard surfaces in your child’s class.
- During break time children are safe to play outside. All physical education equipment will be sanitized daily.
- There will be no Sports Teams together in Level 2.
- Parents will not be able to enter the school grounds unless you have contacted the school office. Everyone needs to be signed in and a contact tracing register has been established for all visitors.
- School assemblies are cancelled during level 2.
We are looking forward to seeing your child on MONDAY 18th MAY!
If your child has a school chromebook or IPad at home, can you please make sure they bring this back to school when they return as they are required for classroom learning.