Alert Level 4 Lockdown – #6 Panui 

Tuesday 14th  September 2021

Kia ora Birdwood Whanau

Yesterday afternoon the Prime Minister announced a continuation of current alert levels for the next week, but in principle, Auckland will move to Alert Level 3 at 11:59pm on Tuesday 21 September. The rest of New Zealand will remain in Alert Level 2. Cabinet will review the alert level settings for all of the country next Monday 20 September.

The Ministry of Education continues to receive questions about whether the upcoming school holidays might move. We know that this will be of interest to our families as well and so are watching for updates, which we will in turn relay on immediately.

Despite everything that’s going on at the moment, I hope you have the opportunity to celebrate Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori. I hope you are able to have a Māori Language Moment this week. It’s a point in time to celebrate, promote and encourage use of te reo – and in the wider scheme of things, contribute to its revitalisation.


Celebrating Tongan Language Week online last week was amazing. We experienced some lovely dancing from the Helu family and Rebecca Finau. The Tongan traditional dress is admired by many and seeing our learners dressed up from home was wonderful. Many thanks to the Helu and Finau whanau for preparing their children to celebrate Tongan language week.

It is great to see a decline in the COVID-19 cases in New Zealand last week which brings some light to the end of the tunnel even though there was an increase yesterday.  We appreciate that this is a difficult time for many and hope that this newsletter finds you well.

Birdwood School continues to remain closed until further notice. 

To all of us in Auckland, I know that the decision to stay in Level 4 was not a surprise. I also know that it continues to bring challenges. Please contact us if you need any type of support.

Planning for Alert Level 3 (AL3)

We continue to plan for the change to Alert Level 3 (AL3). As I have previously stated, we have been advised by the Ministry of Education (MOE) that no one is allowed on our property until the damage from the recent bad weather  has been assessed. The Board had a meeting to discuss this issue and have agreed the school will  remain closed until we have had clearance from the MOE. If there is any change we will notify whanau immediately and anyone who is an essential worker and wants their tamariki to attend school can notify me. Below is a diagram to help you decide if you are an essential worker.

The safety and wellbeing of students, staff and their households, continues to be a priority in AL3.The overarching aim of AL3 is to limit the number of additional people (outside your immediate household bubble) that we all come into close contact with so that, in the unlikely event of a COVID-19 case, close contacts can be rapidly identified, and to limit the number of close contacts that would have to undertake 14 days of self-isolation.

We are very vigilant in this space as our community has been at the centre of a number of the ‘hotspots’. So we will be following up with any families who register for their child/ren to attend school onsite in Alert Level 3.

Please follow the flowchart to support your decision for AL3 attendance.

When opening school facilities, the public health requirements must be adhered to so that COVID-19 is prevented from spreading within the school community. If you would like to register your child/ren for the AL3, once we have clearance from the Ministry of Education with our property,  please email

Hardpack Materials – Distribution in Alert Level 4 

We were fortunate to have (again) secured Hardpack Learning materials from the Ministry of Education for our students. These were distributed last week. We are awaiting the te reo packs but they have not arrived yet.

Lynn Mall Terrorist Attack 

My heart goes out to all those impacted by the West Auckland Lynn Mall terrorist attack recently.  Absolutely horrific.

We pray for the recovery of the injured, and for the safety of our country.

Ngā mihi nui

Jenny Bernard